Creating a world that enables women and children to participate in society on their own terms through innovative services, advocacy and a caring community … so violence and homelessness can be eradicated.
Women and children coming to McAuley feel that they belong and have the confidence to join other communities
Everyone is met at McAuley as an equal and made to feel at home when they are there
McAuley will respect where women and children come from, and they will be heard and listened to with dignity
Women and children have the right to live at home safely and free of fear
Catherine McAuley opened the doors of the ‘House of Mercy’ in Dublin, Ireland, in 1827. Her dream of providing disadvantaged women and children with housing, education and religious and social services – enabling them to find a brighter future – had become a reality.
Catherine founded the Sisters of Mercy in 1831. Led by Mother Ursula Frayne, the Sisters of Mercy first arrived in Australia in 1846. Thirty years ago, the Sisters of Mercy established Regina Coeli (now McAuley House) followed by Mercy Care (now McAuley Care) in 1988.
In 2008 Regina Coeli and Mercy Care services were combined to form McAuley Community Services for Women and expand the Sisters of Mercy’s commitment to women and children and social justice.
Today, Catherine’s founding spirit and ethos continue to live on at McAuley Community Services for Women.